Author Topic: snowboard 155ish, poss PX for 134x42 kiteboard.  (Read 1931 times)

gazxtreme

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
snowboard 155ish, poss PX for 134x42 kiteboard.
« on: September 11, 2010, 19:24:30 »
I'm after a cheapish snowboard for the occasional jolly this winter, Total beginner after having a days lesons at Chill Factore. Would prefer bindings and boots size 7 but whatever.
Looking at size guides I think I need 155ish, I am 5'7" and 11.5 stone. Poss PX for Starkites Sprint 134x42 in decent but not exceptional condition.
Can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? or is it cheap and nasty http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Board_Boots___Bindings.html

Geordie

• Administrator
  • Kite God
    • View Profile
    • Cumbria Kite Club
Re: snowboard 155ish, poss PX for 134x42 kiteboard.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 23:44:51 »
Gaz,

A couple of the lads from up here bought gear from there - it's cheap and cheerful but it works and ok for starters - particularly if you're heading out into the lakes snowkiting/snowboarding. You don't want the best gear because it'll get trashed - it's pretty rocky up there at times.  The only issue I would have would be with the boots - although I've not heard any complaints I'm not sure how good they would be under sustained use on a week long trip.

Scotty is your man for snowboard gear I'm sure he'll have a board or 6 knocking around!
Geordie - Nick Elliott

Way too much gear and even less idea.......

gazxtreme

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 13:15:22 »
Thanks for the feedback Nick, I have no idea with snowboard kit, I could see how the boots would not be the best with that package as I've seen boots for more than the whole package cost. I suppose it's like our wetsuits and harnesses having to be perfect fit for the hours we spend in them, I don't think I'll be spending more than a few hours a week even if we are as lucky as last year with the snow.
I'll wait a few days to see if scotty turns anything up before taking the plunge. Would you get your normal size in shoes or do you go a size bigger or smaller in board boots?

scotty

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 18:52:46 »
I ain't been online for a few days! I've got all sorts of snowboarding stuff kicking about. I'll have a look tomorrow!

scotty

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:50:57 »
To put snowboard terms into kiting terms so you understand the quality level:

I've got a knackered old 156cm board, if you're friends with Geordie on facebook its the board strapped to my back in the photos - nothing fancy, few knocks & scrapes - but its what I used all last year! (in kiting terms it's like buying a 2006 waroo with a leading edge repair - it's pretty crap & pretty dated, but will do) 30 (P.S. not the bindings in the photo - they are like 2010 L.F. Comp straps in the kiting world)  :D

I've got a pair of boots size UK 6.5 used for 1 weeks holiday by a bird (I'm sure theres another pair somewhere that are 7's but can't find them at the moment) 15 if they if fit.

I've got loads of straps, ratchets, base plates etc for binidngs (kinda like putting a 2005 Airush strap with a 2007 Mystic pad with a 2006 Naish grab handle)  :D 20.

To be honest, its all crap & you're probably better off spending a little bit more - but you're welcome to it if you want some cheap gear to get you up and running!

Ebay at this time of year is best place.

To sum up that gear you have earmarked:

If a newbie kiter had 600 to spend, would you tell them to buy a brand new Griffin kite & an Exit board ?
Or would you tell them to buy a 2008 Flexifoil kite & second hand North board ?

There is no right or wrong answer, but I personally would go down the second hand route.

gazxtreme

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 22:06:00 »
Scotty, sounds all good to me mate, I never have been one for bling kit as long as it's functional. If I get that kit of yours I can hit the kendal dry ski and chill factore until the snow starts to fall then if I feel I need something better I will at least have had some practice time.
Are you by any chance heading down to the Silecroft kitefest?
I could do the deal there if so. If not I can get up over the next couple of weeks.
Give me a shout on 01229 470303 or 07724078057 and we can arrange something.
Cheers

scotty

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 20:30:18 »
Yeah,

I'll be going Silecroft, I'll throw them in the back of the van when I come down.