Author Topic: Big Buzz  (Read 2792 times)

Paul Newton

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
Big Buzz
« on: November 08, 2009, 19:33:59 »
Hi, I'm new to power kiting and have had a symphony 1.3 for my 10 year old son. He can handle this one fine so i was thinking of moving him on to a flexi Big Buzz.Just wanted some advise as to whether this would be a good choice or would it be to big a jump for him.
Thanks
Paul

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Big Buzz
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 21:32:31 »
Paul

Starting with all the standard disclaimers (never seen your son fly, most importantly, but also I've never flown a Big Buzz myself.)  Am I right in thinking it's the 2.05 m version?

If so, I'd have thought if he's OK with the Symphony, give it a go, BUT make sure you pick the right day for wind, not only medium-light, but also reasonably steady (strength and direction,) so preferably onshore if flying at a beach.  Flying a bigger kite than you're used to is one thing, but doing so if the wind then gets up is another.  And with smaller kite sizes don't forget they fly faster anyway, so less reaction time.

I guess from this it also follows that you'd need to ensure he used kite killers (and was confident in using them.)  You should check yourself that they are set up right, too.

And obviously give him undivided 1-to-1 attention until you're certain he's completely in control of the kite.  You should also follow the safety guidelines on the club site scrupulously as well, in terms of site risk assessment and your son wearing appropriate safety gear.  He shouldn't need it if you're right about his competence with the Symphony and if you get the right wind etc conditions, but still better safe than sorry.

Hope this is helpful, but let me know if you want to check anything else out.

Ian
Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

Paul Newton

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 21:53:15 »
Ian

Thanks for the much needed advise as we are both new to kiting.We bought the 1.3 and were amazed at the power it had,this had us hooked in an instant !!! Just didn't know if the 205 Big Buzz would be too much of a hand full for him,but i will take your advise and build his skill up in calmer wind's first.

Many Thanks
Paul

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 22:32:28 »
the big buzz is 1.2 m squared, 2m is the wingspan so it is probably smaller than your symphony. Maybe try a flexi sting, ozone flow etc as they are four line so will have kite killers to bring the kite down on although they are more expensive.
Flexifoil Buzz ,Flexifoil rage 1.8 & Blade III 3.0<br />13, 10m venom & 6m phantom<br />Trampa Kitedeck

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:43:42 »
Joe's right - Powerkiteshop sell the Big Buzz for 61.01.  The Sting with 4 lines is 79.99 for 1.2m2, 108 for 1.7m2.

Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)