Author Topic: Scrub Photon Mountain Board - Worth buying?  (Read 4811 times)

Niallopolis

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
Scrub Photon Mountain Board - Worth buying?
« on: April 17, 2009, 14:45:25 »
Is it worth buying a Scrub Photon as a first board for kiting?  They're going on eBay for 90, and claim to be under 6kg. Is this good? Does anybody have any past experience with them?

Cheers,

Niall.

Tracker

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
Re: Scrub Photon Mountain Board - Worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 20:12:38 »
Thats a light deck if you do get it would be good to see what its like by the was its cheaper here and you wond have to pay P&P if you go to the shop.  http://www.ukairsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=623
Naish Element 7.5m
Blade II 3m
Radsail Trainer 2m (The Wifes)

Niallopolis

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 20:37:22 »
Thanks for the fast reply, i wont be getting it for a while mind lol, i can barely fly a kite static let alone on a board! Lol oh well, practice makes perfect rigjt? Thanks for the feedback anyway lol

Cheers,

Niall

vwAndy

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 21:12:29 »
Yeah if you need any gear speak to Patrick at uk airsports as tracker says above. he will get just about anything you need and always does an good deal......
Flying
        Slingshot Rev

Riding
          Surf boards

ian_c

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
    • Diana Cooper Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 12:40:49 »
Hi,
We bought a 'Photon' for my brother in law. Not tried it out with a kite, but it seemed decent enough?

It's reasonably short, so is (in theory) slightly more tricky to learn on, but you'd be over that after an hour. Board was fairly chunky wood with not loads of flex, but fine. Scrub stuff is good for getting spare bits for.

It would probably do you for a couple of years until you need to replace bits, and something more expensive catches your eye...?

Cheers- Ian

Niallopolis

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:52:25 »
Hey thanks for the feedback. It sounds like an ok board, maybe next time i'm through in keswick ill take a look in the sick and wrong :) cheers guys

Tracker

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 20:22:39 »
Sick and the Wrong dont tend to have much in the way of boards any more they tend to specialize in Snowboards and Paragliders he will more than likely direct you to Cotswolds or  UkAirsports. Even try the toy shop next to temple sports.
Naish Element 7.5m
Blade II 3m
Radsail Trainer 2m (The Wifes)

Niallopolis

• Kite newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 20:28:31 »
Oh, I guess a little window shopping is in order around Keswick ;)

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 16:11:18 »
looks ok i had something similar to start on and it was fine bindings and trucks are good so you could buy a replacement deck when you want to upgrade as if you look after the trucks etc they should be fine. also look second hand as you could probably get a better board for the same amount. just my 2p worth
Joe
Flexifoil Buzz ,Flexifoil rage 1.8 & Blade III 3.0<br />13, 10m venom & 6m phantom<br />Trampa Kitedeck