Author Topic: Radsail kites  (Read 3115 times)

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
Radsail kites
« on: April 03, 2008, 14:53:06 »
Hi
i was just wonderin what peoples views are on the radsail basic and pro kites as im thinkin of gettin a 3m kite soon and as flexis are expensive i wondered wethter this would be a good alternative.
Flexifoil Buzz ,Flexifoil rage 1.8 & Blade III 3.0<br />13, 10m venom & 6m phantom<br />Trampa Kitedeck

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
Re: Radsail kites
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 15:51:57 »
hi joe ,

i've flown radsails 2.4 and 3m pro versions, for the money there good value . Nice and cheap budget kites, build quality was o.k (there no way as good as flexi kites quality but you get what you pay for now a days) a few people have commented on there lift however as its only 3m it would pick you up and drop you very fast however the sizes i flew the lift is minimal. it sounds like a good option however there are some very nice alternatives, the pkd busters are very nice kites with very decents prices ( ian the one to ask about busters though as he flies a near full set of them).

Another option i think you should defiantly look at is second hand off the flexi or racekites forum. All of my kites i have at the moments i bought second hand and to be honest on one or 2 of them you could'nt tell they were . if you think about the first time you crash the kite in the wet sand its gonna lose its newness anyway and you can get some very cheap prices on the forums as 2nd hand prices are insanely low at the moment.

how ever if your determined to get a radsail anyway go pro you'll won't regret it.

some examples of 2nd hand

http://community.flexifoil.com/showthread.php?t=128422&highlight=buster

that may have sold but they come up all the time, that one has upgraded lines and in good condition and is only 70 quid, would have been alot more new. another example of how much cheaper 2nd hand is i recnetly bought a 11m flexi strike for 100 quid, 4 years ago it cost 800 quid new and mine was in as new condition,

have a think about it , and dude i havent seen you down the beach yet, let us know when your going down and we can do some flying!

hope this helps

Phil
FOR RACING
Predator Full Race On KadKat Bigfoots
Jojo Race Masters 2.0m/4.0m/6.0m/10.0m
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Flexifoil Strike 11m in ANTHEM!!
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 15:57:07 »
Hi phil theres a possibility that i might be down at st bees tomorrow
Flexifoil Buzz ,Flexifoil rage 1.8 & Blade III 3.0<br />13, 10m venom & 6m phantom<br />Trampa Kitedeck

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 16:22:05 »
I was just doing a reply which almost entirely matched Phil's - so I won't waste space saying the same thing.

I'd agree with him about the Radsails - the Pro looks a much nicer kite than the base model (and the new Savage looks a pretty fierce thing!)  I like Busters a lot - but they are probably better for buggying (at least the way I do it!) than boarding because they are low lift.  I think landboarders generally want more lift.

There are other makes out there at the lower price levels - some Peter Lynns, HQ, maybe even some Pansh models (although there are some I'd not recommend, and the quality control means you can never be sure which.)  As Phil says, they are not always that much worse made - at least the kite itself may not be - the lines/handles/bridles are another matter. 

One problem with relatively few of us round here is there's less chance of getting to scrounge a go on someone's kite to see if you like it.  But you could check out the reviews section on racekites.com, always remembering many of the reviewers are not experts.

I'd go with secondhand buys myself - my last 2 kites have both been bought from the Flexi forum's For Sale board - obviously it's not risk free, but if you check out any seller for positive/negative views on the Name & Praise sticky on that board it at least lowers the risk.

Good luck!

Ian   
Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 16:25:03 »
no sorry don't do st bee's, to far away to lug my kit ! i'm allonby based,
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:29:20 »
hi ian
which pansh models would you recomend?

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:56:15 »
basically

blaze - low aspect (low lift) , slow through the air, nice and stable and probs the cheapest one ,
Legend - i'm not as sure about these but i think there quicker through the air, again nice and stable and relatively low lift, little more expensive
Ace - from some views i've heard there very good , quite alot of lift ( some people compare them to blades) fast , unforgiving and there latest model i believe,
Airlink - race kite, for going fast in the buggy , fast , not much lift ,
blaze 2 - these are the de powerable foil for pansh , you need a depower bar and lines for them and from what i've heard there not great,

there are very cheap kites but again from what i've heard the kites are o.k but the lines and handles are crappy , better to upgrade than suffer a break later on ,

i think the legend would be a good one to get but you may find yourself getting bored of it preety quickly and finding you want more lift, If your feeling abit braver then maybe look at the ace, however if you do get the ace start in low winds and build up, and fly with someone else, from what memory your not very big ( well compared to my 6 foot 12 stone body!!) i think the aces comes in a 2.5 and 3.5 m , if you get the 2.5 it will be very very quick and this can cause accidents ,the 3.5 will have more power but come on slower than the 2.5m but as your quite small you could look at the 3.5m for your lower wind kite ie sub 17mph winds and use the rage above that,

i don't think anyone has any aces around here,  i know dave's got a 8.5m balze but thats it i think ,

i'll let ian recommend his part as he's alot more knowledgeable in this area,

Phil
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 13:13:58 »
thanks for your views, im only looking to get one for light winds for now.

Will

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 14:25:23 »
You could always save a little more, and buy a second hand blade 3 4m , that will do you fine for the lower winds. They are very lifty kites, so beware, but you can get some awesome jumps on them!! How much you weigh?

Will
Flying:
Slingshot turbo diesel 8m
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Riding:
Krunk 140x40 board
Trampa Custom Kitedeck

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 14:44:53 »
I think Phil is pretty much spot on - although I think the Blaze & Legend are the same price, with Ace only a little dearer.  Avoid the Blaze 2, and the Airlink is not right for you.  

I think the only Pansh kites we've seen down here are Blazes - Dave Hunter has an 8.5 (for which I think he paid 75 new!)  Seems well enough made but the bridle seems wrong - it flies with creases.  There's a flier from Annan, Saleem, who uses a Blaze with board & buggy - I think his is 5m, and it looks much better in the air.  He rates it.  He's Boogieman on the Forum - I think you could email him via the Forum to get his views?

The lines and handles are poor - but a) I've heard they've improved recently (although that may have come from Pansh themselves!) b) same is said of Mk1 Busters, and I'm still using original lines & handles on my 3m, 4-5 years old.

There's a lot of snobbishness about Pansh (and other cheaper kites) - but often from people who have enough cash to buy full sets of Flexi/Ozone etc kites.  A lot of reviewers on racekites.com are very positive.  The Blaze is quite heavy - not sure about others - so light winds may make for difficulty launching?

Prices are very low - I think you can still buy direct from their website (panshkite.com) where a 3m Blaze or Legend is 57 delivered.  A 3.5 Ace (3m is out of stock)  is 73.  I think they also sell from an ebay shop and via retailers - not sure of prices.  Be very careful about buying on ebay or a forum from a private seller - at one time there were people selling at way over Pansh's own prices on ebay - on the Pansh site they quote a "recommended" price 3-4 times their own actual price - various delightful souls were quoting this recommended price on ebay and then asking 1.5 times what they paid for Buy It Now!

Gven the low initial price not sure there's much of a 2nd hand market if you outgrow a Pansh.

Hope this helps...
Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 16:57:47 »
thanks ian i'll keep lookin

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 17:17:29 »
oh yeah one last thing would i get away with a 3.5m pansh ace and actually be able to use it a reasonable amount and not have to jump on my rage as soon as the wind picks up. if it helps im 7 and a half stone

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 11:24:14 »
Joe

That's almost impossible to answer with any certainty particularly since I don't know the Ace well (although I'd be inclined to say yes.)  Am I right in thinking your Rage is 1.8?  If so a 3-3.5ish Rage would be a reasonable step up - but some kites are "smaller" for a given size in temrs of power than others.  A 3.5 Rage may be more or less powerful than a 3.5 Ace, or any other kite.  For this reason some people try to keep within one range - but even then you'll often find 1 or 2 kites in a range work better than others.  And although there are arguments for keeping your steps in size between kites small, there are also counterarguments - when I had an old Modulus (which you could zip cells in and out of to vary size) I found I spent more time changing kite size some days than flying!! 

Although you're light you are likely over time to a) put on weight  b) get more skilled and able to handle bigger kites.

Other kites to look out for 2nd hand, by the way, might be a Flexi Bullet (think some club members have them, they are the forerunners of the Rage and an example of a kite where some sizes appear to work better than others - I find them a bit more "skittish" than the Rage, that might just be me.  Also Ozone Samurai or Little Devil - very high build quality.  But both of these are likely to fetch more even several years old than a Pansh, I'm afraid. 
Ian Gilmore
Allonby

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:09 »
Joe its as Ian says, you won't know what winds it will fit YOU for until you fly one in several different wind conditions , then you can see how much you can hold it down i  and the least you need to use it , at first i thought my 2m would be only suitable for 30mph + winds and i believed that because of what i was told other people used there 2m's in, it just so happens i start using it at 20mph up to 35mph, for some reason my kites( very rare ones) have alot of power in them, for example when i did my race license in St Andrews Scotland for the race we had at the end i was flying a 2  kite and everyone else was on 4m +'s and i came in first, different kites have different amounts of power and you won't know it until you fly one ,

however a 3.5m aces sounds like a sensible step up but also look at 3 - 3.5m 2nd hand kites, they will last just as long if not longer than the panshs just because there build quality will be alot better ,
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

joe

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 16:33:31 »
which do i go for radsail pro or pansh ace