Author Topic: Buugy Mods  (Read 1292 times)

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
Buugy Mods
« on: March 20, 2008, 17:48:12 »
i'm thinking of modding my buggy, i want it to be much bigger so i can hold down more power, , i have a plan for lengthening it but i think it may be a tad extreme, my plan is to put a 2m axel on it (in time when i have abit of money) and here is a pic of my idea for lengthening it ( i know other racers have lengthened it like this but not as much as my idea)

I tied poles on to see what it would look like and then skillfully ;D edited it to look abit more like steel on good old paint, so really just wondering how much do you think a mod like this in stainless would cost? also would it be strong enough and also is the buggy going to be to long and not wide enough if i don't change the axle (currently a 1.35 m), in the pic its extended by 50 cm , the plates would then be rewelded on the end and the other bars are there to keep it nice and strong and rigid,

so do i or don't i?,
FOR RACING
Predator Full Race On KadKat Bigfoots
Jojo Race Masters 2.0m/4.0m/6.0m/10.0m
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Flexifoil Strike 11m in ANTHEM!!
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

Geordie

• Administrator
  • Kite God
    • View Profile
    • Cumbria Kite Club
Re: Buugy Mods
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 18:19:14 »
I know nowt about buggy's.....but in terms of doing the mod in stainless, providing you know someone with stainless welding kit (and the ability to weld will help!) and an angle grinder it should be pretty cheap. If you know someone who can "acquire" you the metal required (316 stainless) even better, but the metal shouldn't be that expensive. I'd be suprised if the materials came to more than 25 and thats assuming you have to buy full lengths. You could probably get some off cuts from a steel stockist for next to nowt. I've ordered 316 grade stainless tubing and plate from Ebay quite cheaply for marine use.

From a strength POV you'd need to look at the existing fabrications and then make the new ones the same. As a rough guide you could look at the length of the existing tubing and the corresponding type/thickness of the tubing/box section and make it thicker/bigger diameter accordingly due to the increased length (but not too rigid as I guess the buggy flexes considerably).

You could of course do some simple bending moment calculations and work out what the increased diameter of tubing is required in order to give you the same amount of flex as in the existing chassis based on your weight.  ;)

Geordie - Nick Elliott

Way too much gear and even less idea.......

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 18:32:40 »
thanks nick, so have thicker tubing for the add on bits? , i'm crap at maths/physics though and don't know any of the calculations for working out moments !!!!!!

thanks again , i think google is a good start!
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 21:04:57 »
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

Geordie

• Administrator
  • Kite God
    • View Profile
    • Cumbria Kite Club
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 21:26:17 »
Fecking 'ell phil that's 3 inch tubing? You ain't that heavy are ya? Are buggys made of 3" tubing??

You'd also need thicker wall to weld to it really. Take some measurements of OD (outer diameter) and ID inner diameter from the existing tubing on the buggy.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 21:29:08 by Geordie »
Geordie - Nick Elliott

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:55:02 »
whoops did'nt see that! the od of my current side rails is 24mm (i think), not sure on the wall atm ,i'm looking at extending the side rail with 24mm and the strengthening struts to be made of thicker tubing  33mm or something like that,  whats a good wall size?
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:59:57 »
Phil

Just a couple of thoughts - you'll presumably need to bear in mind the new weight limits if you want to use it for racing?

Also, might it be worth trying this thread on the Flexi board as well?  I'd have thought Popeye The Welder among others would be a good source of advice.

Ian
Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

Geordie

• Administrator
  • Kite God
    • View Profile
    • Cumbria Kite Club
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:50 »
Phil,

Yeah, good advice from Ian someone must have done this before surely?

I'd guess at 2-3mm wall thickness. Should be enough for welding.

Strangely enough that was the same Ebay vendor I got my marine grade stuff from. Decent service.

Geordie - Nick Elliott

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 14:55:14 »
thanks Ian have done on flexi, , regarding wieght my buggy is currently way under the maximum weight (although they don't weigh them in the scottish championship) , i believe its now 55 kg + g kg added , i haven't got any added weight atm and i don't think this will weight as much as if i were to put a bigfoot wheel with bigfoot forks and swan neck on the front , so it should be fine but i'll check it now anyway,

and geordie thanks again , i may buy some from there to make an axel aswell ,
FOR RACING
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160