Author Topic: another annoying question...... helmut cole...  (Read 1664 times)

whitewash

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
another annoying question...... helmut cole...
« on: July 17, 2007, 19:22:40 »
i need to get a helmet to protect the few braincells which i havent killed through drinking....

any recommendations etc....
Libre Special buggy
fear of the unknown

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
Re: another annoying question...... helmut cole...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 19:28:39 »
go full face , much cooler 8) 8) 8)
FOR RACING
Predator Full Race On KadKat Bigfoots
Jojo Race Masters 2.0m/4.0m/6.0m/10.0m
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Flexifoil Strike 11m in ANTHEM!!
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

whitewash

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 19:31:58 »
nah open face for me, i wear glasses and thus find full face helmets a bit encroaching and uyncomfortable, so a potty on thee heeed for me!
Libre Special buggy
fear of the unknown

whitewash

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
Libre Special buggy
fear of the unknown

Robcon

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 22:57:46 »
Personally I would go for quality over cost when it comes to head protection.  I use a general purpose climbing/canoeing helmet I got from Cotswold Outdoor.  Not ideal but does the job.

If you’re ever in Keswick, the Sick and the Wrong (behind the pencil factory) have good selection, plus you can try before you buy.
Robert Conners

Bullet 1.5, 3.5, Rage 2.5, 6.0, Flexifoil Buggy
Garmin Foretrex 101
Medals for OBE's

ian_c

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
    • Diana Cooper Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 16:42:00 »
Yeah- looks perfectly good- similar to the type of think I go for- simple and safe without splashing out on 'gucchi' design. That way if you take a knock, you don't lose sleep over replacing it. Got my latest from chain reaction cycles website.

Avoiding air vents is also good for when you are ploughing the beach with your head  ;D

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 18:21:43 »
I think they are the same as a number of helmets pushed out under different brands - but I doubt if John at PKS would knowingly sell anything shoddy.  He's been around since the start of the sport and is one of the real "good guys".  (Incidentally, the shop is well worth calling in at if you're going through Birmingham - about half a mile from J2 of M5, although it's not easy to find so if going print a map from Google etc first!)

On the other hand, with helmets there is a real benefit to trying it on first for fit - which may suggest a local shop would be better.  (See also the thread eslewhere on the forum.)

Rob's advice about quality is sound - Libre buggies are heavy if they land on you!

Ian

Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

Trouble with wind

• Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 21:48:47 »
http://geordie.101main.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=27&topic=61.0 is the thread on this already on the forum. The sick and the wrong do have some suitable snowboard type lids and there very reasonable. I use a Protec that i got from them and i use it for snowboarding and kiting as it has removable ear pads.
Neil

Rage 2.5, Blurr 3.5, Flexifoil wide axle Buggy and a Dodgy Knee

Pink is the future

Tracker

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 17:54:09 »
I know this is an old subject but it is an important one. CAnoe and climbing helmets are more design for head butting rocks while not going that fast hence most of them are not that good for boarding. I would much prefer a bike helmet which is more designed for the job. They are titghter fitting and have more back of the neck protection. I would also stear away from Motor Bike helmets as they are designed for thoughs who wish to slide along tarmac on there heads. I wont go really techy about it but if you see the guys that punch brick they will tell you it hurts less if you break the brick. It desipates the load. Bike helmets are designed to crack on impact at speeds of around 30mph. So based on that you are doing on what ground choose your helmet wisely.I do it like this if I am static jumping, Climbing/canoe helmet kite boarding, BMX style pisspot. Downhill Mountain boarding full face Motocross helmet.
Naish Element 7.5m
Blade II 3m
Radsail Trainer 2m (The Wifes)