Author Topic: Kite Harness  (Read 2955 times)

Robcon

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Master
    • View Profile
Kite Harness
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:24:17 »
We have had chats about gloves, helmets and QR's so I thougth I would start a tread about kite harnesses.

What harnesses are people using at the minute?
Is a seat or waist best for buggying?
What makes of harness are considered good?
Pros and Cons for a climbing harness v a kite harness?

Rob
Robert Conners

Bullet 1.5, 3.5, Rage 2.5, 6.0, Flexifoil Buggy
Garmin Foretrex 101
Medals for OBE's

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
Re: Kite Harness
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:48:19 »
I use a Quadrifoil harness - and would not recommend it, in all honesty!  It was a distress purchase - I couldn't afford anything better at the time - and it has caused me distress since.  Although it replaced an earlier model of the same type, the newer model is even less comfortable - after a couple of hours it rides up badly, and the between-leg straps are very thin to be under pressure in close proximity to sensitive regions!

Generally a seat harness is better for buggying than a waist one - less prone to ride up - although there is an issue about over-bulky seat harnesses in the buggy.  Certainly the Libre harness is highly recommended - and 2 members (Dave H & Nick S) use them.  Dear though - retail is 69 without a spreader - and there are distinctly mixed views about the Libre spreader, the Arminator - it has a bit of springy wire to retain the strop in the roller which some people get nervous about the safety of.  (It also costs another 69 which makes the whole package costly, although you can use a cheaper spreader in its place.)

A lot of people swear by climbing harnesses (particularly for freestyle) - I'm sure Phil will post his experiences - and the harness itself can be pretty cheap.  (Don't forget the club discount at Cotswold, too.)  But you do then need to add the cost of a QR setup - when Activ8 on the Flexi forum had them still, a full setup of wichard and Holt pulley block was 84.  And the really keen guys seem to be moving away from climbing harness to professional gear as used by tree surgeons etc at around 100 plus - which means you're looking at nearly 200 in all!

Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

wackyracer

• Kite Ace
  • SCO221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 14:57:58 »
as ian said i use a black diamond climbing harness , have used it for buggying and jumping with a guerilla 13m and have found it comfortable all round even jumping as it has very little padding. Price wise only 40 pound + i bought a karabina and a pulley with it for around 5 each , now i just need to add the wichard witch will be around another 30. I find that with bulky harnesses (have used wills scrub landboarding one in the buggy) it is ,well, to bulky. Not very comfy in the buggy and not much room to manouvre (sp) ect , I've also used a wasit harness in the buggy and found that it slipped under my armpits to much and was quite uncomfortable , to be honest i see (for buggying) the climbing harness the best ,

Phil
FOR RACING
Predator Full Race On KadKat Bigfoots
Jojo Race Masters 2.0m/4.0m/6.0m/10.0m
Pimped Cameleon Pogona
SCO221

For Surfing/Freestyle
Flexifoil Strike 11m in ANTHEM!!
Peter Lynn Guerilla 13m
Airush Switch 160

Robcon

• Global Moderator
  • Kite Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 23:23:51 »
Picked up a climbing harness at the weekend, just waiting for the QR and pully to be able to put it all together for a test
Robert Conners

Bullet 1.5, 3.5, Rage 2.5, 6.0, Flexifoil Buggy
Garmin Foretrex 101
Medals for OBE's

Solwaybuggier

• Administrator
  • Kite Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 14:32:42 »
I've just got an Ozone Access XC harness - designed specifically to work with the new Access XC but is fine with my old-style Access.  (You just loop the chicken loop through the D-ring.)  I guess you could also use it in place of any climbing harness - designed as "climbing harness with extra padding".  Around 48, and I think Patrick will have some in by the end of the week.
Ian Gilmore
Allonby
Libre VMax (for comfort), flying Ozone Access1 8.0, PKD Busters 1.4, 2.0, 5.5 and 7.0  BPKA Instructor (Powerkiting and Buggy)

patrick

• Kite Flyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 00:22:12 »
Yep, Ozone AccessXC (42) in stock to club members.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but I also have: Maui Magic Blazer (snow kite harnesses), Scrub harnesses (waist & seat) and cheap Radsail seat harnesses for the land kite users out there.

Lots of reduced small kitesurf harnesses from Prolimit and North plus the new Maui Magic seat & waist/seat harnesses and the new Prolimit Hadlows. at least 10% discount, more often 15% or even more of last years stock to club members.

Let me know beforehand and I can either bring them with me to Allonby or let Frazer have them for anyone to see.